Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Nike Training Club

I was not compensated in any way for this review, its just something I like, and maybe you will too!

It may be too soon to post this since I'm only a week in, but... I'M IN LOVE! I'M IN LOVE! AND I DON'T CARE WHO KNOWS IT.

I recently downloaded the Nike Training Club app for iPhone on the suggestion from Joy the Baker on her podcast.  I was still struggling to find a regular workout routine, so I decided, what the hell? and loaded it on my phone.

And OMG you guys I CAN'T believe this thing is free.  It does exactly what I've been looking for: someone to tell me what to do, but I don't have to pay a boat load of money for it.


The app offers a range of exercises based on your fitness goals: Get Lean, Get Toned, Get Strong, Get Focused and then matches your goal to your fitness level: beginner, and intermediate and advanced. Based on your selections, it provides a variety of work outs to choose from.

Once you've selected your workout and you're ready to start. Here's an example of what you might see:



This is just a small chunk of a larger 45 minute workout.  Once you hit start, the app calls out which exercises to do, and for how long.  It even offers tips on form and announces when you're halfway through the exercise. Not sure what is meant by the title of a move? You can pause the work out to view a step by step of the exercise in pictures, or if that's not enough there is video demonstration available.

What I am really enjoying is the Program feature. Again you select your goal and level of fitness and then the app generates a 4 week program of pre-selected exercises. I am doing a Get Toned program at the intermediate level. Its a mix of 30-45 minute exercise circuits, yoga, and running.

Pros:
1. Minimal equipment required. Thus far its been all hand weights and medicine balls. One routine  called for a jump rope I don't have, so I just jumped in place spinning an imaginary rope. Seriously, it gets the job done and you don't have to worry about accidentally whipping yourself in the calf. 
2. Portable. So long as you have your phone, you have access to your workout. I do mine in my driveway. Lots of entertainment for the neighbors.
3. Provides an estimate of calories burned
4. Tracks your runs on the nike+ app which syncs with the NTC app
5. FREE


Cons:
1. Inflexibility of the program feature. If you miss a day, you cannot access that exercise to make up for it on what would have been an "off day." Unfortunately, emergencies happen or you just get too busy and and exercising goes out the window. If I miss a day, I usually go into the app and find the scheduled exercise and do it on an off day.   It doesn't sync up with the program, so the sad grey incomplete circle taunts me like an A- used to in high school, but at least I know I did it.





2. If you haven't done yoga before, I can see the yoga sessions being a challenge.  There are some advanced positions and the app is very light on descriptions of how to achieve the poses. It also does not suggest modifications to make a pose easier like an instructor might.  I have done yoga off and on for the last 4 years and found some of the moves challenging. Hello, Side Plank Big Toe Pose.
Trust me when I say, mine did not look anything near this. 

3. In addition to tracking calories, it also keeps up with the "NikeFuel" you've earned/burned. To which I said WTF is NikeFuel?  I googled the definition, which was vague and read more like an advertisement than a scientific explanation of this unit of measure, so I gave up.  From what I can tell its an arbitrary measurement the company created  to tempt you into purchasing the Nike Fuel Band. I just ignore the NikeFuel counter in the app. 

The cons are small relative to the service Nike is providing. Overall, I am really pleased with the app, so I'm categorizing this under "Baby, I like it!"

What about you? Do you have any fitness apps or programs you really like?

1 comment :

  1. oh how fabulous! i think i need to download it for at home workouts. that yoga pose - heck i can barely do downward dog lol!! but this really does look great.

    ReplyDelete