Friday, August 29, 2014

Friday Favorites: The Cleveland Edition

I have been really blown away by the local businesses in North East Ohio lately, so this post is for tooting NEO's horn with my local version of Friday favorites.

Restaurant: Cork and Cleaver Social Kitchen
Holy crap on a cracker this place was amazing. In fact, it was the exact opposite of crap on a cracker. I had high expectations given the head chef works over at one of my other favorite locations (What up, LUXE!) A co-worker suggested this place and I'm only sorry I haven't been sooner. Cocktails top out at $9, with most coming in at $8. They were WAY better than their pricier counterparts I've had at bars in the "trendy" parts of town.
Blackberry Mandy
For dinner  I ordered the pork chop with homemade baked beans. The generous cut of meat could have easily fed two people and the bed of beans it was served on were an elegant take on beanies  and weenies. I think they had used dried beans soaked and boiled in house; love that attention to detail!  I also sampled the gnocchi off my friends plate and I have to say, even though my meal was great, I think she won the ordering contest.

Massage: Sacred Hour.  The inside is so luxuriously decorated, I wish my appointment had run late so I could have sat around longer to enjoy the atmosphere. Alas, they were punctual and professional. I had my first deep tissue massage here, which is what I've been looking for in a massage my whole life. (Woah doesn't that sound bourgeoisie? Honestly,  I don't get many massages, maybe one per year, if that.  Thats why it is so important to me that they be as amazing as possible!)

As long as I'm in Cleveland, I won't go anywhere else. First rate service, and with prices that are comparable to the more bare-bones spas in town, why go any where else?
 
Image from sacred hour website.

New(ish) local business: Tea Spot on Detroit Road in Lakewood. They do not appear to have a website but they are in Lakewood near the intersection of Detroit and Belle. They sell loose leaf tea by the ounce and nifty (yes, nifty) tea accessories like to-go mugs and steepers. You can also purchase any tea freshly brewed, hot or cold, for $3. Perfect place to shop for the fancy-pants in your life.

Clothing Store: CLE Clothing Store
Show your local pride or foist it upon others by shopping here! They are constantly updating their inventory and the shirts are actually something you would WANT to wear. Great place to get gifts for people. I recently purchased this onesie for an expecting friend. 
 
Cleveland Onesie. You know you want one!
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think Cleveland gets a bad repuation it doesn't fully deserve. Sure our sports teams disappoint us time after time and our weather is cold (to which I argue so is NYC and so is Chicago)  but we've got a really vibrant city that is home to an ever growing population of artists and industry. Give it a chance! This T-shirt sums up my feelings quite nicely:
__________________________________________________________________________

Linking up with Meet at the Barre for Friday Favorites. Thanks for hosting!

Meet At The Barre

2 comments :

  1. I've never been to Cleveland but I love being exposed to the fun things in your city! Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha 'Holy crap on a cracker' love it. that cocktail looks amazing and i love the cheaper prices, some places are outrageous!

    ReplyDelete